Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
vault dead body Reforged power Mask gauss wolfenstein riot NPCs Ryse mandalorian Gear boomers Superpele hunk khan marvel commonwealth Overhaul machine daryl money boom ghoul Call
Latest topics
» The Fallout TV show destroyed NV. I'm done with Todd.
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Seminole Gamer Today at 6:34 pm

» Afterlife discord
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby MJ456 Today at 3:58 am

» How to change the UI sound fx placed by a mod?
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby immortallegion Sun May 12, 2024 4:40 pm

» big red exclamation marks
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby teslatest Sun May 12, 2024 10:02 am

» [FNV] Menu and cursor doesnt show up
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Anesthatic Sat May 11, 2024 2:20 am

» Just a tired engineer with too little free time
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Allthis Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» The Next fallout
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Velken Thu May 09, 2024 9:13 pm

» (FO4) FO76 BOS Objects
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Velken Thu May 09, 2024 9:08 pm

» Announcement: The Winds of Change
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Luke Priefer Thu May 09, 2024 3:16 pm

» Starfield
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Velken Wed May 08, 2024 8:34 pm

» Not new, but been a long time
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby john96 Fri May 03, 2024 9:31 pm

» Hey everyone, I've missed this place so much.
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Xehonort Wed May 01, 2024 10:33 am

» Hello, can anyone help me with the load order?
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Elean Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:21 am

» Hey guys!!!
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby SilverInc Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:39 am

» The Legion are fascists, let's discuss it.
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby monke gaming Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:56 pm

» A long overdue introduction
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Athallah Akbar Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:46 am

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Nicward Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:50 pm

» Howdy from grandmastoes
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Apoc Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

» armor slot changing in creation kit
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby Meno Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am

» {Multi Choice POLL} Fallout 3 or Fallout NV music?
Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Emptyby HardComma Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:42 pm

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Obsidian or Bethesda?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Emperor Slyther

Emperor Slyther

Character sheet
Name: Red Queen Amaryllis
Faction: Shadow Inquisition
Level: Immortal

Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2016 1:51 am

@wurm45, I see. Yeah, my friend @AltoAngelo told me the same thing actually. Thanks for the correction.

**Screenshot story-arcs on hiatus until further notice**
Back to top Go down
alde90

alde90

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2016 2:23 am

I like Obsidian better. But I like how Beth is family and love oriented. Is it impossible for them to work hand in hand? Like for example 50 people from Beth and another 50 from Obsidian. 

I know there's bureaucracy etc, but it can be done from corporate point of view. I know teams have their own workflow, culture, etc, but I just really want Beth to watch Obsidian work and learn firsthand from them. Because apparently FNV wasn't enough to "teach them" Very Happy

Or at least, Beth, dude, get a real professional and experienced writer already. A pro writer will be able to build a rich compelling story around the lore. And Fallout has an amazing lore. They tried with FO4 but like their other stories and games, Beth is just not really good at giving conclusions and visible impacts of their story. It's like those new employees in companies who are eager and dedicated at first but in the middle and end they get bored and give less frack. On fire only in the beginning. So it's never 100%, or even 90% with them.

On a side note, I miss FNV and FO3 sidequests, they have great story. FO4's feels kind of "detached" IMO.

linkin79

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 8:51 am

Put me in the Obsidian camp too.Im currently playing through New vegas and i like how you can be doing a story quest that can lead to a side quest which in turn will lead to another side quest etc... Not to mention the multiple ways which you can solve those quests with the speech checks. Fallout 4 was severly lacking in that area. Its side quests boiled down to go here and kill these people.And that got kinda old.Would love to see what Obsidian could do with the fallout 4 engine.
Back to top Go down
vahn65

vahn65

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 10:37 am

Obsidian is better at story writing choice and making your character feel like yours. Bethesda is good at building off other people ideas and bad at character individually they were once good at pre skyrim and fallout 3 but how the mighty has fallen. :/ they are gonna have to really blow me away with ESVI to change my mind I still beth I really do but they have to regain what made then good at telling stories. I also thing they should stick to TES and hand Obsidain Fallout from now on so we have good content pumping out every few years.

NewVegasMerc

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 1:21 pm

I love both equally. I want to work for Obsidian and then move on to work for Bethesda. But Obsidian to me is more genuine if you know what I mean. They seem more passionate and their games are great when I'm in the mood for a good dungeons and dragons type game. However I like Bethesda when it comes to actual design. I feel that one really big thing I love in their games is the setting. They always, to me, make it feel alive, but I still love both.

Sentience

Character sheet
Name: The Lone Courier
Faction: Independent
Level: 41 /50

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 5:10 pm

My favorite game, ever since the first time I played it, has been Fallout: New Vegas. So in the case of it being a title consisting of elements of both companies by design, character and story, I'd have to say that I love both for separate reasons, which were well pointed out by @JoJoman45 above.

I should probably state that I did in fact play Fallout: New Vegas first, for about a year, until trying Fallout 3.

The difference between Obsidian and Bethesda is as obvious as FO:NV to FO:3 in my opinion. I loved the city scape of FO:3 (albeit a bit short on building height without the help of mods), but the story was never there to hold my interest. I always preferred to wander (no pun intended) and explore to see what the world had to offer, and what kind of people were in it. I wasn't disappointed by the gameplay or the mechanics, but instead the vanilla default experience of the game, as it was just somewhat lackluster, for lack of a better word. This is why I call Fallout 4 Fallout 3.5, because it really does remind me of 3, just with less freedom to be an a$$hole.

New Vegas encompassed a lot of things that I enjoyed, maybe the fact that I don't like vaults very much was why waking up on an interesting man named Doc Mitchell was so appealing to me from the start. I was fascinated with the shanty town of Goodsprings once I exited the door, and the atmosphere just swallowed me whole. I was instantly more immersed than at anytime in FO3, and I still hadn't even started the story really at that point. Maybe I'm biased, okay, but it did have a life to it that 3 was just missing most of the time. I liked the option of having different endings more tailored to your choices, instead of the same / similar ending with your karma infused in place of finality choices.

I'm hoping that all of the rumors of Fallout: New Orleans turn out to be true, as long as Obsidian is developing and Bethesda is just publishing. Fingers crossed for wishful thinking.

Chromesthesia

Chromesthesia

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2016 6:42 am

I enjoy both games equally, but when I compare both Bethesda and Obsidian I feel they both have the ups and downs.

Fallout 3 was my first Fallout game, absolutely loved it. I first played it on PS3 after lending it from a buddy of mine. I couldn't go any further on the quest to get to GNR because I was younger and the feral ghouls scared the fuckin' begeebus out of me. The city like areas to explore with the dark and dingy countryside was absolutely amazing to me and even now still it. But when I look at New Vegas, all of the bright sand and desert doesn't really give the same effect. I feel there is more open space of nothing in New Vegas (mind you I ain't played Fallout 3 in a good while) which could have been a lot more. Unlike Fallout 3 which as of recently with my installation of Tale of TW's I seem to still be discovering new things. With New Vegas that isn't the case.

While New Vegas's story only really interests me is after Benny is killed as the NCR sorry to say is my go-to faction while with Fallout 3 it kept me interested from the start. Though in comment New Vegas had a better character feel to me. A lot of comments in Fallout 3 which you can make to people doesn't really suggest an unknown to the world which you should experience I imagine after living in a vault. New Vegas just throws you out there as a courier with little to no past to be what you like. (Although I do believe Ulysses says that we were once Couriers for the Legion but idk)

In short, a TDLR if you will.

Bethesda make more interesting places to explore for me.
Obsidian make a solid character and story piece.

I won't really comment on Fallout 4 due to nothing to compare it to but the story is decent and very enjoyable if you roleplay as the character handed to you but the worldspace is pretty fuckin' interesting until you've seen it all which unfortunately I think I have.
Back to top Go down
dantaefetticus

dantaefetticus

Character sheet
Name: Samson Ramsey
Faction: Independent
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Obsidian, I love both companies. They both care about their fanbase. Obsidian, however, makes the better Fallout game. They have better characters, stories, lore, etc. The only thing they seem to not really excel in is making a very interesting world to explore in. Bethesda knows how to make a fantastic world to explore in. Fallout 3 is probably the best in the modern Fallouts when it comes to exploration. Fallout 4 has a great world too. What Bethesda really struggle in(at least with Fallout) is writing. From what I read, their programming team also does the writing. If this is true, they really need to get a serious writing team. I do really like the story to Fallout 4 and I do think a lot of the characters are interesting, but compared to Obsidian, they really pale in comparison. I will say this, they have really improved on their writing compared to Fallout 3. Another thing is that Obsidian did a way better job with their DLC for New Vegas. Each DLC is memorable gave a big impact to all players. Honest Hearts had Joshua Graham and it's unique landscape, Dead Money had Elijah, It's dark and scary atmosphere and hard gameplay, Old World Blues is a fucking hilarious DLC with some of the funniest characters in Fallout and it's very interesting lore, and Lonesome Road is the most emotional DLC because it goes deeper into the story of the courier and Ulysses. Fallout 3's DLC, while fun and entertaining, didn't give that strong an impact. The only DLC that really gave an impact in my opinion was Point Lookout. That DLC was fantastic. Everything about that DLC was amazing in my opinion. Bethesda really dropped the ball with Fallout 4's DLC. Half the DLC was for settlements. I love the settlement system, but I do not know why Bethesda made it the sole purpose for the DLC. Now the DLC that don't focus on settlements I loved. Automatron was fucking sweet because of it's robot crafting. It was so cool making your own robot companions. Far Harbor was my favorite DLC in Fallout 4. It really showed that Bethesda can still write a really interesting story with very interesting characters and lore. The area was also amazing to explore. Nuka World is the most fun DLC for Fallout 4. It was so much fun exploring the amusement parks and discovering all the lore of that place. I think Bethesda really outdid themselves with the lore of that DLC. It was really interesting. What really disappoints me is that more expansion pack like DLC could've replaced those settlement DLC. We could've had some more great DLC like Far Harbor and Nuka World. I really think Bethesda did a fantastic job with those DLC. Now I am just rambling now lol. Overall, I love both companies, but I prefer Obsidian a bit more.

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
ghostsniperx13

ghostsniperx13

Character sheet
Name: Kagami Ryosuke
Faction: New Japan Liberators
Level: 17

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2016 7:12 pm

Obsidian. I love Fallout New Vegas, even more that Fallout 4, I was hyped for Fallout 4 but I really really hate the voiced character, I love how Obsidian gave you a choice to give your courier a backstory, Bethesda, not so much, It's like Here! Fallout 4, You play as a parent who is finding his kid! Similar storyline to Fallout 3? F*** u, this is a different story, it's new.

yeah... I don't like playing as a parent, I want a protagonist to be the same age as the Lone Wanderer in the next fallout, in which I hope Bethesda does not f*** it up and lets Obsidian make the game.

Dreceratops

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2016 7:28 pm

While I hear great things about Stick of Truth and Pillars of Eternity, I don't think the entire team behind NV is still at Obsidian so who knows if they can even handle another Fallout. Then again, many of the minds behind Morrowind are no longer with Bethesda but I still expect their next titles to somehow get better, so I'd still trust the next Fallout with Obsidian.

stalkzoid

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2016 8:00 pm

ive played both their games and although i loved them all, id have to say obsidian, cause im aching to see if in the future another spin off come's from fallout 4, like new vegas did with fallout 3

Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock.

Kurt Cobain
Back to top Go down
mixtape69

mixtape69

Character sheet
Name: Wewus Laddus
Faction: New Vegas Strip
Level: 420

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Obsidian hands down, I thank Bethesda for reviving the fallout frnachise, but I feel obsidian did a fantstic job with New Vegas. Mostly from the original devs of of Fallout 1, 2, and the canceled Van Buren game that would've been 3 worked on NV. Plus NV uses a lot of the factions and locations that where gonna be featured in the original Fallout 3.

Proudnoob4

Proudnoob4

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2016 8:51 am

Well Obsidian, FONV Is my favorite game. Its just a game you can pop in anytime and have a completely different experience from the first playthrough to the forty second playthrough, Such an amazing game, In the otherhand Games like FO3/4 And Skyrim you are either a Person from a Vault that is out to find a family member Or your the Legend that is going to save the day, That's it; nothing else, Your this set character and nothing else, and that's why i hate the roleplaying aspect in Bethesda games because they don't let you role play they let you Play as a character.

SuperChunkChief

Character sheet
Name: Chief
Faction: NCR: First Reconnaissance
Level: 65

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2016 9:54 am

I have to say Fallout 3 used to be my favorite game ever. I remember I had no idea what kind of game it was when I first got it on the 360. Maybe that's why I thought it was such a god game, that and I had never played a game like it ever before. I had never experienced an RPG or something that was so open world, I was always limited before and now I had so much choices. Then Fallout New Vegas came out.

When I started playing Fallout New Vegas I realized how it was similar to Fallout 3 but some things were new.

In my opinion the story and writing of New Vegas was far better and felt like it had more thought put into it. Obsidian actually followed what was supposed to be in the Fallout universe probably because of the workers from Black Isle Studios. For example you learn a lot about what each faction had done in the past to get to where they are now in the story. Fallout 3 just didn't have that even if the main faction was just the BoS many things felt unknown to you. I also saw how (like in Fallout 4) dialogue sequences with NPCs were very broad and didn't offer much in terms of detail. I actually liked the faction system in FNV too. I do still like the setting of Fallout 3 more though because it's an actual wasteland that has collapsed skyscrapers and un-inhabitable nuclear areas and it's very interesting because it's the capital of the US where decisions and politics decided the fate of the war. Unlike the desert of Nevada that was never hit by nukes and Vegas is just a place where people spend money.

I think I'll always look back and see how Falllout 3 was my first experience with that type of game but Fallout New Vegas has more heart put into it y'know. Everything felt more put together like a puzzle piece. I wont even get into Fallout 4 I was so hyped for that game but it just turned into a dumpster fire at the end. It felt rushed and honestly it didn't even feel like a Fallout game to me.

Hopefully Bethesda realizes this and allows Obsidian to make another Fallout game if they were smart they would see the outcome of how happy people were with New Vegas.

So Obsidian Smile

Juzkin590

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2016 10:42 pm

I like but in a perfect world, I'd have Obsidian do Fallout and Bethesda do Skyrim but with the Bethesda engine.

Di3sIrae

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 01, 2016 10:40 am

I try at the max to avoid this question, but why not?
Why not? Well, i played some of Oblivion, Fallout 3, NV and 4, and Skyrim is the only one i finished the Main Quest. Never touched the older games (a bit of morrowind only). I only started playing them because a friend told me about skyrim, and then i downloaded Oblivion to test and liked it a lot. Then Skyrim, discovered mods, back to Oblivion, then back to Skyrim. Discovered Fallout 3 in the mean time and can say that no game ever will have a better introduction, from the game start to exiting the vault. For me, it was perfect.

When i played NV, it is a good game. A good fallout at all, and far better than FO3 in almost everything, but for me it didn't have that something... I just couldn't like NV as i liked FO3. The overall environment, lighting, everything, i like exploring DC even more than Boston.
New Vegas had a better gameplay, slightly different and well done than Beth's Survival.

One thing i must give my points to Bethesda is how followers actually feel more alive in the world.

About the companies, well... I never played Obsidian games aside from NV, which is Beth engine after all. I like how bethesda makes games to be modded. The history is very poor and quests are almost all 'go there, kill it, bring me that', and just some have some good explanation and give you a real motive to go for it.
But if you look closer, both companies have different approaches to their games.

Obsidian is more into the old style RPG. Bethesda appears to try to please everyone. They have a bit of everything in the game.
Obsidian's Fallout was somewhat not interesting for me to play. Maybe i could try to go trhough the game, but i mostly play to entertain myself. What i most like in Bethesda's games, especially Falout, is that they create a whole alive world aside from what you must do. I mean, if you only follow quests and stick to it, you miss everything.

TL;DR - Both companies offers different gameplays, it is dificult to compare them. Some will prefer Obsidian for a more RPG style, some Bethesda for the 'free' and more versatile gampelay.
I don't even know why make this kind of question :p

Bandikoot

Bandikoot

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Could not agree more, OP. I liked Fallout 3 and I still do, but there's a reason why I have almost 900 hours put into New Vegas. It's just better (IMO of course). Fallout 4 had so much potential but I feel like so much was cut short or cut out.
Back to top Go down
igniter55

igniter55

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2016 8:28 am

I totally agree with you. Obsidian is miles ahead of Bethesda at the moment i do feel however that Bethesda could possibly come back but as of right now i don't see that happening

AmaekilShath

Character sheet
Name: Nefandi Oxt
Faction: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Level: 66

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2016 10:04 am

Pretty much with everybody else on this, Obsidian!!! They just write better stories and characters, felt like my playing it meant more, wanted to know and find out what's going on. In F3, Skyrim and then F4, I just find after not all that long in playing them, I couldn't care less about finishing the main quests, I still haven't with F4!
I will say though, I prefer Bethesda's world scaping, so if they could team up, Obsidian writes it, Bethesda builds it. Then let Obsidian make the final tweaks and BOOM! Perfect.

The Rebel Tex-Edits The Mercenary Tex-Edits Reacher Tex-Edits Scavenged NCR Tex-Edits
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian or Bethesda?   Obsidian or Bethesda? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Obsidian or Bethesda?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next