Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Info Panel

GUNinsider
Fallout Miami: Mika999
Stay Connected

GUNetwork
Keywords
Mask vault Ryse ghoul body daryl wolfenstein commonwealth khan Call Superpele space Gear riot machine marvel mandalorian dead boom boomers hunk FCOM NPCs money upgrades Reforged
Latest topics
» Modder looking for gun mods
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby Bset Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:33 pm

» schorched enclave officer
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby Smash96 Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:13 pm

» Sup everyone (link funny shorts here)
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby DHB00P Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:29 pm

» Late Introduction
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby Battleclad Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:29 am

» Greetings!
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby Primus_Daibhidh Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:01 am

» Fallout New Vegas Stuttering And LOD Problems
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby gamerdude7892 Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:48 am

» hello, here for porting tips and tricks to fnv
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby uxof Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:50 pm

» (Fo4) fo76 Steel Dawn Weapons and Armor ports
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby DireTheRed Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:52 pm

» So I tried my hand at modding...
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby Bset Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:01 am

» Guns you want in Fallout
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby DoxxxBoxx Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:33 pm

» hi i'm new person
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby Jackfishproductions Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:00 pm

» What Fallout 4 Armor Mod is This?
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby Skroge Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:15 am

» [FNV] Weird facial problem when using Dragbody overhaul
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby CommunistDragon Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:18 am

» [FNV] Some help with placing npcs in wasteland pls
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby TimvorixosGR Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:37 am

» Fallout Screenshots XIV
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby Smellen D'generes Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:06 pm

» New person
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby W0NDER0FY0U Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:29 am

» Howdy pardners.
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby DVAted Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:06 am

» Suggestions for a Halo Themed TTW Playthrough
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby apatheticman Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:44 am

» who here is a mandalorian??
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby chazmister Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:13 am

» Your favorite mods for F:NV
Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Emptyby Ndf Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:29 am

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
_
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
dantaefetticus

dantaefetticus

Character sheet
Name: Samson Ramsey
Faction: Independent
Level:

Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Empty
PostSubject: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Now I am not going to type a whole two paragraphs like I usually do and get straight to the point since it is very late and I'm tired. Should Bethesda Hire a New Writer for their games? If you don't know who the current Head writer is, Here is some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Pagliarulo

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Emil_Pagliarulo

https://twitter.com/dezinuh?lang=en

If you think so, are there any writers you have in mind that fit well in the company?

fallouter

fallouter

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 4:43 pm

No they just need Obsidian to take over the rights. But to answer the question, hell yes.
Back to top Go down
Heisenberg

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 7:36 pm

He created Oblivion and Skyrim, which were popular games, so no.

Just because everything isn't FNV doesn't mean it's not good. That's what Obsidian fanboys need to understand.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 9:48 pm

It's very obvious they should. Everything in their latest games (FO3/Skyrim/FO4), from the main quest to the smallest side-quests ranges from barely mediocre to outright insulting. Saying there's no problems with the writing in these games is ignoring an incredibly obvious problem.

I mean, look at the Thieves guild quest-line in Skyrim (someone even made a great write-up about it, can't recall who) or Mages guild as the biggest offenders. But this extends to other quest-lines as well, even if the faults are not so glaring.

Fallout 3 falls in a different category altogether, with writers unable to do a simple wiki-search on how laws of physics work and how water can be filtered from radioactive materials with relative ease. Or how your father is an idiot and dies for nothing, and BoS & Enclave (why are any of those even in the game) fight for the rights to push a button. Or how nobody in 200 years has bothered to actually improve their surroundings and sit on their asses all day, doing nothing and waiting for player character to solve all their problems (a common trait in Beth's games, which in small doses is acceptable, but not for every single quest).

And then there's Fallout 4, which recycles the plot from the third game and saddles you with a kid they assume you will care about (spoiler - you won't, Bethesda doesn't even understand their core audience it seems) and has you fighting for robot rights when humans themselves have barely any.

Overall, Beth's writing on surface level seems serviceable, but the more you look into it, the more glaring the stupidity and laziness becomes. Gameplay in their games, while jack-of-all-tradish, is their strong suit and even then because there's no competition in that regard. When Obsidian came around, it was very obvious what a talented studio with much better developers can do in the same playground.
Back to top Go down
Heisenberg

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Let's hate on Bethesda time I see.

Why do I even bother?
Back to top Go down
njmanga097

njmanga097

Character sheet
Name: Captain Wick
Faction: Wildfire
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 pm

I don't know really, but to me, Bethesda isn't really terrible at writing. I don't know why people dislike their way of doing things. I'd like to think of this as a sort of "style" in their works, much like how handwriting differs from person to person and how one artist's work will look different from his/her peers despite being the same artwork, but the difference here is that people aren't giving Bethesda that much chance.

I mean look at various Fallout discussion rooms in the internet. There is not one time that people will tell each other how FNV is the superior game and Fallout 3 and 4 flopped so hard.

To me, they're not bad at writing. I think the way Bethesda writes their story is the that they want the character to be the center of it all and Obsidian wants their character to be a really random person that will work his/her way up. Not one is better than the other, its all a matter of execution.

Again, this is just what I think. I'm not declaring this is correct in any way.

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/noel.manga.art

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 10:21 pm

@Corvo Popular doesn't mean good, dude, otherwise Twilight would be the pinnacle of literature. Bethesda obviously knows how to make compelling games, and I would praise FO4 art design as the one of the best I've seen. But ignoring obvious problems in their writing won't make them go away.

@njmanga097 I'd say that Beth's protagonists aren't characters at all, they're self-insertion vessels for the player. In example, in Skyrim there's rarely any chance to express yourself as character and quests rarely can be solved in any interesting way that could allow you to play your characters role.
Back to top Go down
Heisenberg

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 10:30 pm

@superpele I'm not saying popular is good, I'm just tired of all the hate Bethesda receives. They're not the best, but they're not the worst either. I'm just tired of being an veteran Fallout player seeing Fallout newbies hate Bethesda because everybody else does. They brought Fallout to the mainstream and made it 3D and they still get hate because of the way they do things.

The funny thing is, Bethesda own Fallout, and Obsidian probably wont make another Fallout again, so prepare to suck it up. It'll be best for everyone that is a true Fallout fan if the Obsidian fanboys start to fade away and go play Pillars Of Eternity or some other Obsidian shit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 10:43 pm

@Corvo Geez louise, dude, constructive criticism isn't exactly hate and there's valid reasons for fans of the originals to dislike Beth's approach to the franchise. Sure, some things they have botched but some, like power armor in FO4, they have improved. But being grateful to Bethesda "for bringing Fallout to 3D & mainstream" is such a weird way to come about it, as if a game can only be accepted if it's a AAA production or something.

And saying to "suck it up" (basically shut up and never criticize anything about them) and calling anyone who dislikes them an Obsidian fanboy seems very childish. For me, FNV is the only Obsidian game I have liked and fully played through and I don't hold them on any particular pedestal. I respect good writing and thought put into one's work, and it's clear that one studio does that better than the other, so comparisons will rise, especially in the same field of work.
Back to top Go down
Heisenberg

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 11:04 pm

superpele wrote:
@Corvo But being grateful to Bethesda "for bringing Fallout to 3D & mainstream" is such a weird way to come about it, as if a game can only be accepted if it's a AAA production or something.

Lmfao I played the original Fallouts, didn't play them much, but they were good. I never said it needs to be a AAA title to be accepted, so I don't know where you got that from? Bethesda made Fallout more popular than it was, so that's a good thing, right?

superpele wrote:
And saying to "suck it up" (basically shut up and never criticize anything about them) and calling anyone who dislikes them an Obsidian fanboy seems very childish.

I never said you can't criticize Bethesda, I said you have to accept it, to suck it up. I've just seen too many Obsidian fanboys who "criticize" them in every single topic in Fallout discussion, but they're all going to be disappointed and move to a new franchise, to the Bad Rats franchise once they realise Obsidian can't make another Fallout game. Then Bad Rats can be the only video game franchise they'll want and need, while us true Fallout fans are playing Fallout 5.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 11:40 pm

@Corvo Saying that I can be a true fan of Fallout only if I accept what Beth is doing is bizonkers.
It's like saying I can't be a fan of Terminator because I didn't like Genesys.

Also it probably will sound insane to you, but a person can actually be a fan of Bethesda's games yet still criticize their failings and wish for improvement. (as a fan of WWE, for me this is a daily struggle) If we as humans just "sucked things up" instead of confronting them, we'd still sit in caves, dressed in furs.
Back to top Go down
GhastlyDemise

GhastlyDemise

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 am

Corvo wrote:

Why do I even bother?

You mean to say you came to a forum or comments section hoping to change perspectives? Sir that's an uphill battle if I ever saw one. I mean bud you literally just got done calling others fan boys, but there's more than a few legitimate grievances to have over Zenimax and Bethesda as a whole.

*They lied about mods on the PS3/360 for Skyrim
*DLC Season Pass that costs as much as the game itself
*Breaks their own lore 10x over
*Strips classic mechanics
*Gives Obsidian 10 months dev time, forcing them to put out a buggy product
*Notoriously bad bugs that exist not only on a single title, or across sequels, but across platforms.

That's without touching Zenimax, the parent company that you folk all seem to forget is the Umbrella entity under which each of these studios operate.

Corvo, I'm going to be frank, you really have no business calling someone else a fan boy if you're calling yourself "a true fan", and that's all the more I'm going to say on this.

In summation, yeah, they need to hire on someone who atleast has the same passion for the series as any of these "true fans" and acts as a continuity checker. They have them in film, why they don't have one at each AAA studio is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
Visible Earth

Visible Earth

Character sheet
Name: Jak
Faction: Fiends
Level: 18

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 am

Oh Emil...

The writing is definitely the worst part of Bethesda's games. Which is a shame, because almost everything else is fairly solid. It's why I've personally always found Bethesda games such a frustrating experience.

A friend of mine's been playing a lot of Skyrim recently on PS4 (yeah, yeah, yeah he doesn't have a gaming PC, whatever). But I think the lack of mods in this case really hits home how bad the game is without them. To make the game fun, my friend completely ignores the main quest and avoids any character conversations he can. He just enjoys the combat, scenery and exploration.

If that doesn't say all you need to know about Bethesda's storytelling, I don't know what can. Like I said, it's more of a shame than anything, that such a beautifully crafted fantasy world is wasted by a boring and unimaginative story and quests.

Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? GqUKuf0
Back to top Go down
Heisenberg

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 1:48 am

I'm facepalming right now. I tried to reason with you guys, convince you to keep your opinions, but at least respect they are trying their hardest to sell their products. They have had their ups and downs, but at least forgive them.

A true Fallout fan is a Fallout fan with dedication. A fanboy is somebody who endlessly defends a company they like. I'm defending Beth, but I can admit they aren't perfect.

This just seems like a "hate bethesda" bandwagon limp bizkit that I will have no part of.

Plus who tf gives a fuck about Obsidian lmao maybe you should play Skyforge because it's made by Obsidian "the one and only" lmao.
Back to top Go down
GhastlyDemise

GhastlyDemise

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 1:59 am

*Doesn't play any other Obsidian game than South Park, simply wants better lore, maybe try not putting people in boxes because it's deemed convenient?*

No flame wars today. Pax et Bonne Volonte.

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 2:04 am

GhastlyDemise wrote:
No flame wars today. Pax et Bonne Volonte.

lmfao you think this is a flame war? This is discussion m8.

Who's the one trying to start a flame war anyway when you downvote me because of an opinion?
Back to top Go down
ritualclarity

ritualclarity

Character sheet
Name: Character
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 2:15 am

Corvo wrote:

Why do I even bother?

I don't see someone asking if the writing is poor and a new lead writer should be hired as "hate". The OP even ask if there is someone in mind (particular person not company) that would fit the bill.

Personally, I enjoyed both Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. I favour Fallout 3 but that is more to do with it being my first game I played in the fallout franchise than to do with who produced it. The games they have been producing have been steadly declining in quality over the years from Oblivion to Mass Effect Andromeda. Some of the issues are likey their other partners in the process (MEA = EA Wink) but a large part I see falling on their own shortcomings. This isn't "hate" as I want them to be great and awesome as they have been in the past. Many that are upset with the quality of the current work (fit and finish, story whatever) are also "fans" not only of the game they produce (in this case Fallout xx) but the company itself. If they weren't fans of the company then they wouldn't give a flying crap and just ignore what they are doing and move on. You don't see as much "hate" as you call it directed by the gaming community as often as you do towards Bethesda, this is because they were absolutly awesome in the past and have lost their way currently and they want them to actually go back to what was in the past. Quality stories, reasonable fit and finish etc.

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 am

@Corve Dude, you've constantly mentioned in this topic how everyone "hates on Bethesda" yet in almost every post you do your damnest to make fun at Obsidian and people who like their work. At one point you have to ask yourself if you're not one of the people you rag so much against.

And also....
Corvo wrote:
...at least respect they are trying their hardest to sell their products...

Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? ZlQ61dsmAeetO

Anything that requires money or time to consume can be held up for criticism.
Back to top Go down
Heisenberg

Character sheet
Name:
Faction:
Level:

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 2:54 am

There's a point where people criticise something so much it becomes hate. What's even worse is when more than half those people are trying to be accepted on GUN, so they betray their own opinions to hate someone else's.

I used to have FNV as my favourite Fallout game, but now I feel deeply saddened that people put this game on a pedestal because it's the game that was released before the new game.

If I were to be honest, I still do favour FNV, but on this particular subforum I act like I prefer Beth games just so I can bait Bethesda haters. It works a lot of the time.

I respect people can like FNV, and criticize FO3 and FO4, but not a lot of users criticize FNV, Some don't because they are scared of the backlash.

Why can't we just say all Fallout games are down to opinion and leave it at that? I'm not saying you can't criticise, but when there are topics being made just to have a limp bizkit "criticising" Bethesda there is a clear problem.
Back to top Go down
GhastlyDemise

GhastlyDemise

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? EmptyMon Apr 17, 2017 3:07 am

This is one of the few forums where folks dig on New Vegas and there's a few of the mods that I respect so I stop in for chit chat and to get a sense of things to get making my own content. If I make friends along the way, wonderful. Perhaps now I'm engaging in a bit of projection here myself, but given the context of the conversation it would seem I or one of the other folks in this thread are being alluded to here, and that is more than a bit grating given that I've cited examples of valid criticism of the company that you've entirely ignored.

"Why can't we just say all Fallout games are down to opinion and leave it at that?"

I mean, that's where I was at with it. No one was bashing you directly for supporting Bethesda as a company hombre. That's your right. But you were deliberately insulting by assuming the perspective of the folks you are criticizing. Hence me downvoting you in the first place.

PostSubject: Re: Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?   Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Bethesda Need to Hire A New Lead Writer?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next